Κυριακή 4 Ιουλίου 2021

Ilias I. Katsos - AHEPA Family Supreme Convention

 


Dear family and friends:

After a lot of thought, in particular relating to the obligations, responsibilities, time and various other sacrifices required I have decided to run for the position of AHEPA Supreme Vice President at the upcoming AHEPA Family Supreme Convention at the end of July in Athens. It was not an easy decision but believe I have the commitment and the appropriate demonstrated successful background in many areas to make a significant positive difference in the advancement of AHEPA both nationally and internationally and to its historical legacy and accomplishments, in these ever growing difficult and challenging times.
For me the philosophical underpinnings and ideals of AHEPA, a grass roots fraternal organization founded to combat bigotry and to promote the advancement of Hellenism, Education, Philanthropy, have been among my life long pursuits. I have been fortunate and blessed , coming to the U.S. as immigrant myself during the post Hellenic civil war period, to have been afforded the opportunity after a lot of challenges, effort and hard work to pursue those goals. I joined AHEPA and Delphi Chapter # 25 in Manhattan a legendary and historic AHEPA Chapter founded in 1923 with giant past members including President Franklin D. Roosevelt , Past Supreme Presidents such as Dean Alfange and Dr. Kimon Doukas, and many others to further that pursuit. When I joined it like many of the Chapters in the U.S. it was a shadow of its former self but in a fairly short time with the help of innovative , dedicated and committed Brothers in our Chapter we were able to transform it in a relatively short period into a powerhouse and the largest AHEPA Chapter in AHEPA’s national and international domain within three years. I was proud to have been its Vice President for two of those years and the President in the third and the fact that it’s its growth continued beyond that period. While an officer I helped create the famous Canoutas Lecture Series and was asked to become the Director of Hellenism in my Empire District 6 the largest District within AHEPA’s national and international domain. I also ran and became the Lt. Governor of the District and continued aggressively programs to expand the understanding and promotion of both AHEPA and Hellenism through lectures and panel discussions both within our Hellenic community and beyond to the greater multi-ethnic/ multi-cultural community of which I have been a significant part of over the years. I furthered that goal through my weekly radio program on COSMOS FM at that time. I further advanced AHEPA’s and Hellenism goals when elected Governor of Empire District 6 as well as AHEPA’s Chairman of the Hellenic Cultural Commission. I was honored and humbled to have been named as AHEPA’s Governor of the Year this past year. During the past two years as Governor during part of the time of under severe Covid pandemic strains (and losing over 50 members- May their memories be eternal.) I am proud of the fact that with the help of my Lodge and District members we actually had a very successful time period using the pandemic constraints as an opportunity to advance in many ways including reactivating dormant Chapters and growing others throughout the state. I stepped down as Governor this year feeling confident in leaving my District Lodge stronger than when I joined it and helping with others to insure that merit was the prime criteria for the promotion of the Lodge and it’s elected officers not longevity or place holders. There is a lot more I can go into relating my numerous activities, among other things, to promote this great organization of AHEPA both nationally and internationally but will leave it for now at that. I will see everyone in Athens.
Have a wonderful Fourth of July and God Bless America !!

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου